Articles, research and resources about middle childhood development and the middle years from Canada and abroad. Documents previously posted on other parts of DeltaKids will be moved to this page when they are taken down.
Documents containing information and strategies for working with children in the early years or information about services (click on the name of the document to open it):
- Middle Childhood Matters – A Framework to Promote Healthy Development of Children 6-12 – framework that helps identify the developmental assets and needs of children in the middle years.
- Kids Can Cope: Parenting Resilient Children at Home and at School – describes how resiliency develops and provides strategies for parents about how to build their child’s resiliency.
- Classification and Epidemiology of Childhood Sleep Disorders (2007) – summarizes the issues and needs typically seen when children have issues with sleep and the best approaches to help them.
Research & Policy
Research and articles/reports about policies needed to support families and their children and middle childhood development (click on the name of the document to open it):
- Middle Childhood Inside & Out: The Psychological and Social World of Children 9-12 Research Highlights (2007) – provides key findings from the survey of children in the middle years and draws some brief conclusions. This document is a prelude to the full report below.
- Middle Childhood Inside & Out: The Psychological and Social World of Children 9-12 Full Report (2011) – HELP (Human Early Learning Project) report presents the results of a collaborative research project that explored the social emotional health and out-of-school experiences of 1,402 children aged 9 to 12 years from 8 school districts in B.C.
- Making a Measurable Difference in the Lives of Children 6-12 (2010) – describes the 2009 outcomes for children / families achieved by after school programs that were funded by the United Way of the Lower Mainland BC.
- Knowledge Exchange for Mental Health (2013) – Caledon Institute of Social Policy Report providing information and ideas for to address the key challenges in supporting children with mental health needs.