Articles, research and resources about early childhood development and the early years from Canada and abroad. Documents previously posted on other parts of DeltaKids will be moved to this page when they are taken down.
Documents containing information and strategies for working with children in the early years or information about services (click on the name of the document to open it):
- Working with Young Children who are Learning English as a New Language (2009) – a resource early childhood and child care professionals with strategies for working with second language learners for (Alberta Ministry of Education).
- Introducing the Nurse-Family Partnership Program (2011) – document describing the Nurse-Family Partnership Program introduced in B.C. in 2011.
- The Vital Role of Play in Early Childhood Education (2003) – an article from the U.S. about the importance of play for healthy development, the decline of play with the increase of technology and how to encourage / restore play.
- MCFD Strategic and Operational Plan 2012-13 to 2014-15 (2012) – Government of B.C. Ministry of Children & Family Development (MCFD) document provides an overview of programs and services & the plan for improving and strengthening them from 2012/13 to 2014/15.
- Fraser Region Early Childhood Framework & Strategic Plan (2009) – written by the Fraser Early Childhood Partners Council, a plan for early childhood work in the Fraser Region between 2009 and 2012.
Research & Policy
Research and articles/reports about policies needed to support families and their children and early childhood development (click on the name of the document to open it):
- Making a Difference in your Neighbourhood – Using Community Decision-Making to Improve the Lives of Children, Youth and Families (2001) – a handbook developed by the Center for the Study of Social Policy in Washington D.C.
- Early Intervention – An Early Parent/Child Development Framework for B.C. (2011) – A social innovation discussion paper put out by the BC Association of Family Resource Programs.
- 15 by 15 – A Comprehensive Framework for Early Human Capital Investment in B.C. (2009) – the HELP, the Human Early Learning Partnership, paper proposing a fundamental shift in how we think about health care and human capital including a detailed blueprint for policy reform to achieve this.
- BC Smart Family Policy 2010 Report Card (2010) – HELP report card describing British Columbia’s progress with implementing the family policy investments described in the 15 by 15 report.
- Early Childhood in Focus – Culture & Learning (2010) – from the Child & Youth Studies Group at the Open University in the United Kingdom, this paper addresses the major policy questions surrounding the place of culture in early childhood programmes, and how to promote development and learning while respecting cultural diversities.
- Crisis in Kindergarten – Why Children Need to Play in School (2009) – a report based on 9 recent studies and written by the Alliance for Childhood in the U.S. , with specific recommendations of change needed in Kindergarten education.
- International Perspectives on Early Childhood Development (2005) – Knowledge Network for Early Childhood Development paper looking at ECD and what can be done toward a successful approach where early childhood development is seen as a determinant of health.
- Family is the Foundation – Why Family Support and Early Childhood Education Must be a Collaborative Effort (2011) – Canadian Association of Family Resource Programs paper responding to the reorganization of early childhood services.
- Fraser Health – Health Profile 2011 – describes the health of Fraser Health region residents.
- Early Years Study 3 – Making Decisions Taking Actions (2011) – 3rd in the series of early years studies involving Dr. Fraser Mustard.
- Early Childhood Development (2012) – The Royal Society of Canada & The Canadian Academy of Health Sciences Expert Panel report looks at how the effects of environment and biology in a child’s early years influence development over the life course.